Thursday, April 23, 2009

How Mod Got Suburbanized

This blog is about how Mod got suburbanized...

After having lived in Istanbul, Montreal and New York City for most of my life, I found myself in the middle of the "American Suburb" 10 years ago. At first I furiously fought it, ineffectively schemed to get out of it, for the longest time irately resented it, after a while apathetically learned to live with it. And after 10 years... I think I'm OK with it.

I still shop in New York City and Montreal, but now I also shop online. Malls forever make my skin crawl. I still furnish my house as if it's a downtown loft. I cannot bring myself to furnish my walls with stock "art" from Bed Bath & Beyond. I refuse to drive a large or midsize SUV or a minivan. I reject shopping at Costco, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club. I will never have a "country kitchen" with flowers bursting from every surface. And I will forever miss living within walking distance from 50 restaurants and not having to designate a driver so I can have two glasses of wine.

Much like my cognitive process, this blog will bounce from daily banter to product reviews, then from exercise to healthy living, perhaps from babies to the joy of cleaning poop... I hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment